Friday, May 28, 2010

REVIEW: How Much is Enough?

How Much Is Enough?: Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Ch

Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Children 

By Jean Illsley Clarke, Ph.D.

I’m a clinical psychologist and I love this book. I give it to lots of people and they love this book.   Click here or on book cover to order.

I live in a very wealthy community and frequently see what happens when parents over-indulge their children. Many times these kids grow up and can’t finish college; or even worse, they get involved with drugs. They are totally un-motivated and quite often unable to focus on a job

What I particularly like about How Much is Enough? is that it gives information not just on how to avoid financially indulging your children, but also on how to emotionally indulge your children.  Often the problem is two-sided. It’s not that the child has been given too many things; it’s also that they have way too much freedom or no rules at all. The author has made it easy for the reader to focus in on the particular issues that they find challenging.

The examples are compelling and easy to understand. Aunts, uncles and grandparents can learn a lot from this book, too.  The sooner you “get it” about what is happening in the lives of your children and grandchildren, the better off you are. The author also gives you insight into your own issues, where perhaps you were over- or under-indulged, and how you carry that over to your children.

Because I was so interested in the subject, I did not find this book difficult to read—nor did any of my clients.  I would perhaps rename it something short, like: Real Help for Parents. I’d give it five stars!

No comments: